- A prior marriage or two. Or three.
- A minor child or two. Or three.
- A child of his or her majority still behaving as if they are fifteen.
- The parent of this big baby also behaving as if it is fifteen.
- Conspicuous…interest in booze, cigs, pills or the government handouts.
- Not-so-conspicuous money mis-management. A bankruptcy, perhaps.
- The presence of an ex- something for ill-defined reasons.
Baking success comes from choosing quality ingredients, treating them with care, allowing the appropriate time for proving, the correct oven setting and luck. Avoiding the problematic ingredients puts the odds of a measurably better rise and crumb on your side.